Thursday, October 10, 2013

Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes

Before this recipe, it had been a long long time since I had baked something. And boy, did I miss baking or what! I think my baking stuff missed me too, I may or may not have found a dead spider and a layer of dust in a pan that obviously hadn't been used recently. Do not fret, if I did find such things in my pantry I would most certainly scrub them!

I am not really sure what I am trying to say to you in this post, for it is coming out all garbled, mangled and rambling. Good evening. NOT. See I don't even know where I am going with this, and I am just going to quit my incoherent rambling while I am ahead as they say. 

Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes
Very Loosely Adapted from The Novice Chef 

1 and 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
3/4 Teaspoon baking powder
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened 
1 Cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1 Egg
2 Teaspoons of vanilla
1/4 Cup plain whole milk yogurt
2 Tablespoons applesauce 
1/2 Cup banana, mashed (about 1 banana) 
1/2 Cup buttermilk

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Spray or line cupcake pan with papers. 
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. On low, beat in egg and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Scrap down the bowl. Beat in yogurt and applesauce. 
4. In a glass measuring cup, mash banana and measure to 1/2 cup. Beat mashed banana into wet ingredients in stand mixer. 
5. Add the dry ingredients to wet in three additions, alternating with two additions of the buttermilk. Gently stir/fold until just combined. Do not over mix. 
6. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 23-26 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool for 20 minutes in pans on wire rack, then remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on wire rack. 

Always cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
I enjoyed a few of these without frosting, it you want to dress non-frosted ones up, just dust with powdered sugar for presentation! 

I never wrote down the recipe I used for the frosting, and it was a Bakelette original, so it is gone forever (UGH). However, this Brown Sugar Cream Cheese frosting by Spiced sounds very similar! 


  1. Glad to see you re-discovered your love of baking...'tis the season for delicious baked goods! And these Banana Cupcakes look amazing. I love the addition of the brown sugar for a little twist.

    1. Thank you! I am a huge fan of brown sugar, I find it adds a more complex and caramel-y flavor!

  2. Well hello there!! I'm happy to see you here :) These cupcakes look delicious my friend and the frosting is a great combination.

    PS: Your ramblings are my favorite! Just saying.

  3. I agree, love ramblings! I love banana treats! especially those covered in frosting!

    1. Thank you! Banana treats are high on my list!

  4. Oh man I want these so badly. There has been a huge lack of banana treats in my life lately (but come to think of it a lot of bananas...)
    Anywho! I want you to know that I just nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Your posts are super relatable and I always look forward to new posts! Here's the link to the nomination:

    1. TESSA! I love you! Thank you so very much for the nomination!! I cannot wait to read through it again and post my own!! Hope to see you soon! xoxo